Don’t miss our KON-TIKI-TAS Deep Cone Kiln EOFY SPECIAL, which is running until end of June 2021
Prices Starting from $2,700.00
Would you be interested in making use of your “unloved biomass” such as annual pruning material from your trees, roses, blackberries etc.? The woody material that would otherwise be unused and wasted can be turned into a valuable resource called BIOCHAR.
With our unique designed KON-TIKI-TAS Deep Cone Kilns – manufactured in the Tamar Valley from 5mm steel, you can make your own BIOCHAR.
Available in 3 Sizes – COMPACT – STANDARD – STRETCH
Our kilns can be shipped AUSTRALIA WIDE.
The kiln’s flame curtain process allows minimising polluting air emissions and creates a fine-grained, highly porous charcoal that helps soils retain nutrients and water.
with BIOCHAR you can
grow better plants
boost your soil
Welcome to our Online Store!
NOTE: Before ordering please contact us to ask if stock is available.
Our Pickup Points
Safe and contactless pickup can be arranged directly from:
- Rosevears – 82 Brady’s Lookout Road
- Burnie – just next to the Emu Valley Rhododendron Gardens
- Hobart – Farmgate Market
Free delivery in West Tamar Area!
Biochar Trial in West Launceston
What is Biochar
Biochar is a plant boosting char, also called by some “the black gold for soils” and is the perfect ingredient for the garden all year round. It will enhance plant growth and increase the sustainability of your garden. It is used to improve your soil by storing nutrients, which can then be taken up by the roots, as the plants require.
Soil with nutrient enriched Biochar
- retains moisture – therefore helps plants survive dry conditions better
- leads to smooth, continuous growth
- strong flowering and fruit set
- increases soil water holding capacity whilst improving drainage
- helps plants resist diseases
- is a nutrient bank – highly adsorbent, reduces nutrient loss by leaching or volatilization,
thus increasing fertilizer efficiency and reducing associated costs
Why use Biochar?
- Save Water
- Save Fertilizer
- Grow better & healthier plants
- Soil enrichment
- Optimum drainage
- Makes soil more fertile
- Reduce leaching of nitrogen into ground water
- Provide protection against some foliar and soil-borne diseases
The science is in: PyCCS = Pyrogenic Carbon Capture and Storage
Professor Bruno Glaser has summarised the reasons for making and using Biochar,
very short and sharp.
Biochar is reduced carbon in a low oxygen atmosphere through a process called pyrolysis of biomass wastes. Biochar is important in two ways:
1. It offers the only currently realisable way to remove CO2 from the atmosphere (CO2sequestration)
2. It can act as a soil conditioner, improving soils that have lost their fertility (Terra Preta).
Biochar and Climate Change
Humanity faces two issues with respect to climate change: reduce current and future GHG emissions and address the current high levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. At the moment, it has three tools with which to address current and future emissions:
2. Energy efficiency
3. Carbon capture and storage (CCS)
Biochar is the fourth tool and sits in its own category in that it is the ONLY currently available system able to safely sequester existing atmospheric CO2 as outlined above and as proven in numerous scientific publications.
Source: The University Halle
- Application of biochar in building materials
- Application of biochar in potable water and wastewater treatment
- Biochar application in storm water management
- Using Biochar as a filter for managing air quality
- Biomass as a catalyst for chemical reactions
- It can be used for gaseous emissions control/storage
- Biochar in fuel cell systems
- Development of biochar-based supercapacitors
- Application in animal husbandry
Non-soil biochar applications
Although most research is directed towards the application of biochar to soils, there are several other properties that render it a suitable candidate for non-soil applications.
A growing number of studies have tested biochar as a composite in building materials, as a hazardous substance adsorbent in drinking water and wastewater, as a component in filters for indoor air quality and storm water management.
The potential to utilize biochar for various applications depends on its properties.
For example, biochar with high electrical conductivity, porosity and stability at lower temperatures is preferred as electrodes material in microbial fuel cells.
Biomass containing relatively high structural bound oxygen groups is preferred in direct carbon fuel cells.
Biochar with high porosity and structural bound nitrogen groups is preferred in the development of supercapacitors.
On the other hand, biomass with increased particle strength, hydrophobicity and high surface area are suitable candidates for the development of reusable catalysts for chemical reactions.
Optimum reaction conditions for producing biochar are not always the same and reproducibility is often not satisfactory, even when the same biomass is used and the same production conditions.
These new high-value applications are still in their early stages, and further research and development is needed to reach commercialization.
How we make biochar
FRANK’S CHAR is 100% TASMANIAN MADE
..and is turning organic waste, such as annual pruning material from vineyards, fruit, olive and nut orchards, and potentially woody weeds such as gorse into valuable products for gardeners, horticulturists and farmers and potentially many other industries. Liquid manure is used to create the optimal nutrient enriched Biochar ready for use as soil amendment and odourless fertiliser – produced in our revolutionary Tasmanian built KON-TIKI-TAS Deep-Cone Kiln. This process allows minimising polluting air emissions and creates a fine-grained, highly porous charcoal that helps soils retain nutrients and water.
FRANK’S CHAR is ACCREDITED
FRANK’S CHAR has been analysed by Eurofins Umwelt Ost GmbH in accordance with European Biochar Certificate guidelines and the test reports are showing accredited test results according to the European Biochar regulations and can be provided on request.
Our Location82 Brady’s Lookout Road - Rosevears - TASMANIA
- We ship our Kilns Australia-wide. Sorry, no international delivery.
- We do not offer construction plans for sale at this time.